Saturday, January 23, 2016

Taking a class for those who have a loved one with a diagnosis

I am taking a class right now offered by NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) of DuPage County, where I live.  This is a 12 week course called Family to Family, which is a course for folks who have a loved one with a mental illness diagnosis.  I've been dealing with Mom's mental illness for 45 years but you know, there is still always more to learn in terms of how to be a healthy person myself and to be even more accepting of her.  Week 1 was pretty amazing I will say.  I think I liked most meeting people who like me have/are going through the pain of a loved one who is so sick and so limited in their ability for self-care, and our worry and fear about what that means.  It's a confidential class, so I won't be sharing anything my class mates share.  I'm just glad to be there.


This class will be offered many times this year.  Below is the upcoming schedule in my area for this class as well as other really good ones.


Support is powerful not just for those with a diagnosis but just as much for those of us who love that person.  Glad I continue to get that help.




FAMILY TO FAMILY- 12-week class for adult family members (18+) and others who have adult loved ones (18+) with a mental illness


> Wednesdays, February 10th to April 27th- 7:00PM to 9:30PM- Community Center Room 104


> Tuesdays, March 1st to May 17th- 7:00PM to 9:30PM- Compass Church


> Tuesdays, May 17th to August 2nd- 7:00PM to 9:30PM- Good Samaritan Hospital





BASICS- 6 week course for parents and caregivers who have a child in High School or younger (generally under the age 18) affected by a mental illness


>Thursdays, March 10th to April 21st (Skipping March 31st) 7:00PM to 9:30PM- Community Center- NAMI DuPage Room 120





WRAP- 8 week class for individuals with a mental illness


>Tuesdays, February 2nd to March 22nd 7:00PM to 9:15PM- Community Center- NAMI DuPage Room 106

No comments:

Post a Comment